Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rice 'n Beans...

This comes from my dear friend Linda on S/V Troubadour... I hope she doesn't mind that I posted this!  It's so yummy, I must share it!



RICE n BEANS!!!


1 tin of beans ( black or red ) 15 oz size
2 cups of water
1 ( or two ) bouillon cubes ( chicken or vegetable flavor )
1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder ( I use a bit more because I like it spicy )
1 teaspoon cumin
1 small onion ( diced )
3 cloves of garlic ( peeled and chopped ) I like garlic, you can add less if you want
1 cup of white rice ( uncooked )
2 Tablespoons olive oil


Drain and rise beans
Mix water and spices in a bowl
Saute' onions and garlic with olive oil
add rice to garlic and onion mix stir about 3 minutes
( I use a sauce pan to saute' the onions & garlic so I can add the rest of the ingredience, then only using ONE pan!! )


Add water & spice mix with rice and bring to a boil
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes ( no peeking! )
Stir in beans and serve hot


This is a  typical Caribbean side dish.  You can add just about anything to it!  More veggies, such as steamed carrots or corn.  Mix with cooked chicken or sausage if you so desire.  Or use as a MAIN DISH!  It's pretty simple and clean up isn't too bad...