Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Born Sailor...



Well, no!  Not at all... I get car-sick, airplane-sick, if it moves, I'll throw up!  So, in the past few years I've learned some important lessons about what to do and what NOT to do...

NOT TO DO...

No cocktails 24 hours before setting off.  That includes beer and wine folks!  Sorry...
No lemons, not really sure why, something to do with the acid.  Tip from my doc!
No going down below, unless to use the head of course, and that's really only for us ladies!
No reading!  Get familiar with your charts so you don't have to stare at them for long periods of time!
No greasy, heavy, spicy, deep fried ANYTHING foods, you'll taste them for much longer than you want to!!



TO DO's...

Get everything ready so you don't have to go below.  Food, charts, water bottles, binoculars, etc...
Get fresh air, even if it's raining.  If you're really sea-sick you won't care if you get wet!
Drink lots of water.  But sip, not gulp!
Stare at the horizon.  This of course won't work during a night time passage, but it will during the day!
Have a wet washcloth handy, it's very refreshing to wipe your hands and face.
Nibble on things like apples, soda crackers ( the boring kind ) easy on the tummy foods.  Key word NIBBLE!!
Double, and triple check your weather, if it's rough, wait... What's another day??



There's also a ton of different kinds of medications out there.  I've tried several.  This is what "I" think, keep in mind I am NOT a doctor or nurse.  My old job was that of a 911 dispatcher, so I only HEARD sick people on the phone, not up close and personal!  What works for me, might not work for you...

My personal favorite is the Transderm Scop patch.  I put it on the night before, they last for 3 days.  They don't make me sleepy, which I feel is very important.  Lots of cruiser's choose Stugeron, it works, but made me too tired to help in the cockpit.  Same goes with Dramamine.  Now, if you are not responsible for a watch, then go ahead and sleep away!  When you get to port, you'll feel rested and be ready for that frozen cocktail!  Check with your doctor before you leave to sail off into the sunset, he or she will give you what you need to REALLY enjoy being out at sea!  It's a magic that I don't think anyone should miss! 

Safe Sailing!


PS The picture above was taken during a trip through the Panama Canal... We'd been out having a "good time" the night before... I was in poor shape to say the least!!